Monday 9 July 2012

Glycerin = Moisture, Moisture + More Moisture!!

Hello ladies!!

This is my new love!! I wish I got on this earlier!!!

Read The Natural Haven for a break down on why Glycerin can be moisturising for your hair. Be sure to read the comments to the article too! JC answers some of the reader's questions which was very useful.

One thing that stops me from purchasing new products, its the fact that I may be come a 'Product Junkie', and I'm not about to spend money on these expensive hair products only for me to just use it once!

My Mixing Ratio's 

I have started off with one part Glycerin to three parts water in a spray bottle.
As advised on The Natural Haven, this should be your starting point, and you can add more water if that is what your hair requires.

Pros:

  • It leaves my hair soft and moisturised!
  • It's cheap
  • It is water soluble as opposed to oils.
  • I do not have to spray/moisturise my hair once a day. Only every 2-3 days. Or as needed.
  • I think it's a great braid spray to keep my hair moisturised under the synthetic hair.
  • Easy to wash out; it does not stick to the hair 

Cons:

  • Another reason why I will not spray may hair so often other than the fact that a little goes a long way (as far as my hair is concerned), is that I feel that too much will leave a film on my hair which actually dry out my hair in the end. - BUT the build up can be easily washed off.
  • Many say that glycerine dries out their hair during the winter season because of the lack of moisture in the air. Oyin of Oyin Handmade products, suggest steaming the hair. Read this article about Glycerin and Winter hair care.
  • Similarly, because Glycerin is a humectant (a substance that draws in moisture), your hair style may frizz up considerably in humid conditions.
Personally, the Pros outweigh the Cons.
By the way, if you live in the UK, you can find this in Boots near the cough medicine section.

Have you ever tried or considered using the Glycerin/water mix??? Let us know =)

Miss Naturally Natural 
**********

4 comments:

  1. Great post. I need to make more use of my glycerin!

    Bx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl! Hallelujah! I just started using that about 2 weeks ago and my hair stays so moist with it, and yep boots do it and cheaply so. I just spray a little in my hair when its in an afro or a fresh twist out that I don't want to disturb but this is prior to using shea butter or conditioner from the night before.
    You on the right path, great post

    Naii
    xoxo

    blackcheribeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Naii! =)

      Sometimes, I will sprits my hair just before I go into for the shower for extra moisture!

      Delete