Saturday 4 August 2012

Protective Style #2 : Cornrow up-do

Hello!!

I'm Back with another Protective Style!

It is actually the first time I have cornrowed my hair for the public to see (usually I would cornrow my hair and keep it under a hat). But I was inspired by BlckHair4U's Video. Please check her video out, her style will be more inspiring than mine, as her style is actually neat! lol [click her name to go directly to her video]



What you will need:


  • A parting tool (I used the end of my fine-tooth comb)
  • Two mirrors (Optional - I was doing my hair myself, so I needed one mirror in front of me, and another mirror to check the back of my head.)
  • Styling butter and moisturiser

How?

  1. The day before I styled my hair, I prepared for hair for the style. I Co-Washed my hair with Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner. After that I put my leave in, sealed my hair with EVOO and put my hair into roughly 10 braids to stretch the hair.
  2. The following day I took the braids out and lightly sprayed my hair with my Water and Glycerin Mix to make it easier to part the hair and manipulate it.
  3. I split my hair into 7 sections as shown in the video. CLICK HERE to be directed to the video.
  4. I used my hand held mirror to check my parting and proceeded to cornrow my hair without adding any extra product.
  5. With the hair left at the top I Co-Washed it (I was testing out the New TRESemme Natural conditioner - look out for a review soon). I then used my Giovanni Direct Leave-In (CLICK HERE for a review) and sealed the hair with my avocado butter mix.
  6. I then twisted a section of my hair (as if I was going to coil it) and then wrapped it around a small perm rod; I used about 10 in total
  7. The following day I took down the coils and separated them.
After perm rods have been taken down and separated

Pros:

  • No synthetic hair is used. For those of you that are allergic the sythetic hair, you should try this out.
  • It did not take me very long. In total, I would say it took me about 2-3 hours. I was just lazy and I did it over the course of two days.
  • It's some thing different, I personally never seen anyone with the hairstyle here in London; I have only ever seen this on the internet.
  • Easier to to maintain you hair and keep it healthy. You can easily moisturised you hair with this because it is not locked up in hair extensions.
  • You can easily change the look. With the hair left out on top you can do a twist out, braid out, bantu-knot out, you and cornrow it or even put them in mini twists. 

Cons:

  • The problem with cornrow styles in natural hair is that after a while they can tend to look frizzy due to the nature of out hair. - the best way to combat this is to make sure you sleep with a satin bonnet or pillow case. You can also redo some to of the cornrows to keep them looking fresh.
  • It is very difficult to do yourself if you are not so experienced. Good parting is keey to pulling of this look. I kinda failed with this although I do not think it looks THAT bad. 

Will I ever to this style again??

Of course! However I will just go to my hairdresser to get it done! I really would not mind paying £25 to have piece of mind that my hair looks neat at the back.


Miss Naturally Natural
**********

P.S Reviews coming soon:

  • TRESemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture Conditioner;
  • Aubery Organincs Glycogen Protein Conditioner;
  • Curls Hair Tea Conditioner; and
  • Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Cream Moisturiser (Mango Scent)

2 comments:

  1. I love the hairstyle!!!

    Now following

    follow back?
    xx
    www.cocomarco.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute. Setting out to grow an Afro too. Can't wait ^_^

    ReplyDelete